Changes in societal demands brought about by advances in mathematics and technology, as well as sociocultural changes in the high school clientele, make the continual re-tooling of mathematics teachers an absolute necessity.
Through a curriculum that combines rigorous mathematics content knowledge with advanced research-based pedagogy, the program seeks to produce a highly competent cadre of mathematics teachers who have the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to foster a high level of achievement in mathematics in high school students.
The Master of Science degree in Mathematics Education program of Morgan State University will produce teachers who have a sound knowledge of the discipline, are skilled in facilitating learning, and have the competence to assess students' needs in mathematics and to modify their own instructional practices to meet those needs.
Upon completion of these programs certified teachers will have acquired the competence to:
- Draw on insights from cognitive psychology, the nature and philosophy of mathematics, and a sound level of subject matter knowledge in order to design learning experiences that result in the meaningful acquisition of mathematics concepts by high school students
- Use technology to enhance student learning in mathematics
- Create classroom learning environments that are stimulating and intellectually/emotionally safe for diverse student populations of both genders
- Model an enthusiastic engagement with mathematics and motivate students to excellence in these subjects
- Reflect on their own practices and seek to be responsive to changing student needs in a demanding society
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Socio-cultural Context of Schooling
- Teaching for Conceptual Development in Mathematics
- Assessment of Learning in Science and Mathematics
- Issues and Applications of Technology in Science and Mathematics Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Actuarial Science View 840 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- To be eligible for admission to the program, applicants must have completed a Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics. Applicants must also be certified in the teaching of mathematics at the middle and/or high school level.
International32184 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 894 USD per credit during 12 months.
National32184 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 894 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State16380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 455 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Baltimore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.