The Design Innovation program at Massachusetts College of Art and Design integrates deep expertise in design practice with business discipline in a broad-based curriculum that uses market challenges and social initiatives as the context for learning.
The curriculum is constructed so that each semester leads students through a structured path that sequentially emphasizes four key skills areas: empathy, analysis, contextual understanding and communication. It applies a human-centric, holistic, and iterative approach to blending design and business thinking.
Classes are co-taught by design and business professors in a fully integrated, collaborative teaching model.
- Design and develop experience design, service design and cross-disciplinary design projects
- Develop empathy and understanding relating to client/constituency needs and to the creation of solutions that resonate with them
- Ability to systematically deconstruct and analyze problems, synthesize findings, and come to creative solutions applicable to business and design
- Understand the role of design in culture and commerce
- Develop the contextual language of business and design, and gain business skills relative to the creative economy
- Gain communication skills relative to leadership, business, and multiple audiences
- Develop awareness and understanding of the diverse cultural, historical, and experiential issues expressed and inherent in one’s design practice and in the discipline of design
- Develop the aesthetic sensitivity, technical competence, awareness and analytical thought necessary to design solutions for social, economic, environmental and global challenges
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Off-site Retreat
- Experience Design Lab I (Team Project Studio)
- Storytelling Studio (Individual Studio)
- Design Innovation Lab
- Managerial Accounting for Designers
- Open Studio Elective
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications received after the Priority Deadline will be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis.
DisciplinesDesign Innovation Management View 534 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Form
- $90 Application fee
- Statement of Purpose: A one-to-two page statement describing your reasons for applying to MassArt, the Master of Architecture program and the planned direction of your future work. Note any recent developments that support your decision to apply.•
- Resume: List professional accomplishments including exhibitions and awards, as well as professional or other activities that convey a sense of your commitment to a life in the arts.
- Post-Secondary/College Transcripts (unofficial copies): Submit transcripts of all previous college level academic work. Transcripts must be translated into English for review.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
International24000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 24 months.
National24000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.