The Literacy Education Grades 5-12 curriculum at State University of New York at New Paltz is thoroughly modern, designed to help teacher candidates support their students in a world that increasingly demands digital literacy. Earn foundational knowledge in reading and writing instruction, while gaining proficiency with technological tools and applications at the College’s Center for Innovation in Education.
Online, In-Person & Accelerated Options
We’ve created a new, flexible, fully online curriculum that lets you join a cohort of remote learners in completing classes and fieldwork requirements remotely. Our traditional, on-campus model remains available, and we can also accommodate part-time or accelerated course schedules to help you achieve your goals in a way that fits into your life.
Clinical Fieldwork at our Remote or Campus Literacy Center
The Literacy Education program employs a unique, clinical fieldwork model that creates faculty-mentored opportunities – both in-person and remotely – to apply classroom learning with families in need of diagnostic and remedial services. Work with us at the Literacy Center at SUNY New Paltz, and gain real-world experience that makes a difference in the lives of children and adolescents.
Strong & Dedicated Faculty
The Literacy faculty at SUNY New Paltz go above and beyond to support their students and the broader educational community. They are leaders in their disciplines, published scholars, educators and technology experts, devoted to helping teacher candidates grow into professional literacy coaches and advocates for education at all levels.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Theoretical Foundations of Reading and Writing
- Workshop in Understanding Literacy Difficulties
- Clinical Practices in Literacy Intervention, B-6
- Workshop in Action Research for Literacy Leaders
- Children's and Young Adult Literature
- Literacy and Language Learners
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Literacy Education View 169 other Masters in Literacy Education in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at State University of New York at New Paltz and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Complete an admission application available online using the link above.
- Follow the steps and create an account.
- Provide one official copy of all transcripts of all previous college/university course-work from regionally accredited institutions, with a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- Provide evidence of initial/provisional or professional/permanent teaching certification* in elementary education (B-2, Pre-K-6, Grades 1-6), or Secondary Education (Grades 7-12 or Adolescence/Middle Grades Education, all subjects), or in Special Education, Speech and Hearing Handicapped, Music Education, or Art Education
- Request two recommendations
- Submit a well-written essay of no more than 500 words describing your educational aspirations, experience working with students in educational settings, and how training in a master’s program in literacy education will help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for New Paltz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.