The department offers a sequence of courses for practicing school counselors who already hold certification who are seeking a bilingual extension. For additional information, please refer to this Bulletin under Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel.
Either MS Mental Health Counseling program at The City University of New York can be completed in 2 years full-time (which requires attendance in daytime classes) or 3 to 4 years part-time with evening classes. All candidates for either master’s degree must take the 36-credit sequence of basic and advanced core courses, 12 credits of specialization courses, and 12 credits in fieldwork (for a total of 700 hours).
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Mental Health Counseling program is registered with the New York State Education Department and leads to licensing as a Mental Health Counselor.
- Post-degree clinical hours and exams are required beyond the master’s degree for permanent licensing. Dr. Matthew Day and Dr. Jennifer Kyle are the advisors for the Mental Health Counseling program.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Counselling Clinical Psychology View 141 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in United States
- Satisfactory completion of the following five prerequisite course areas:
- Introduction to psychology
- Developmental psychology (child, adolescent, or life-span)
- Abnormal psychology (or Psychopathology)
- Social basis of behavior (sociology, anthropology, or social psychology).
- In the 500-word essay on the admissions application, please describe your motivations for entering the counseling profession and your expectations of graduate-level study.
- Interview may be required.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.