Master of Science Degree Students develop specific competence in the following areas of marriage and family therapy (MFT) lifespan human development, family dynamics, research, MFT ethics and legalities; systemic and interactional theories; and cultural competence related to the practice of individual, couple, family and group therapy. It includes direct experience conducting admission to treatment, clinical assessment and diagnosis, treatment planning, case management, and therapeutic intervention.
This program prepares people for work in clinical settings such as mental health agencies, in-home therapy, day treatment, behavioral health (hospitals), schools and/or private practice. The program has a balance of classroom and field experience. Field experience occurs in clinic settings with live supervision. This is one of the longest running programs in the nation to be fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE). It meets state educational requirements for licensing (especially Wisconsin and Minnesota) and prepares students for the AMFTRB (national) MFT exam required for license.
- Psychopathology: Assessment and Treatment Planning
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Theories of Family Processes
- Lifespan Family and Human Development Seminar
- Cultural Competence in Family Therapy
- Treating Drug Abuse, Intimate Violence and Self-Harm
- Research in Psychotherapy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Applicants are strongly advised to complete the admissions process prior to January 15.
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education Counselling View 894 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- complete a minimum of 120 overall undergraduate credits (some majors may require more)
- complete 32 residency credits at UW-Stout
- achieve a minimum GPA of 2.000
- complete all General Education requirements
- complete the Racial and Ethnic Studies requirement
- complete the Global Perspective requirement
- complete the all major requirements
International17423 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17423 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National9457 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9457 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.