With a master's degree in data science, you will:
- develop skills in computer programming, statistics, data mining, machine learning, data analysis, and visualization
- be prepared to solve challenging problems involving large, diverse data sets from different application domains
You will explore the rapidly emerging fields of data analytics and discovery informatics—which integrates mathematics and computer science for the quantification and manipulation of information from a cognate area of application (such as science, engineering, business, sociology, healthcare, planning).
The Data Science program of University of Massachusetts Dartmouth emphasizes:
- strong foundations in information theory, mathematics, and computer science
- current methodologies and tools to enable data-driven discovery, problem solving, and decision-making
Enhance your skills, advance your career
The program is designed for:
- professionals and organizational leaders who want to take on greater IT responsibilities
- individuals who aspire to careers using computer information science to support decision-making
- students who want to learn technological and analysis tools used by leading science, engineering, business, academic, government, and social organizations
The MS in Data Science aims to:
- meet the growing demand for high-level information systems/science skills
- provide a path for individuals from diverse fields to rapidly transition to data science careers
- enable established IT and computing professionals to upgrade technical management and development skills
- prepare graduates to apply data science techniques for knowledge discovery and dissemination to assist researchers or decision-makers in achieving organizational objectives
- create innovators, entrepreneurs, and business professionals who will lead the development of next generation information systems
At the time of graduation, students will:
- be able to apply contemporary techniques for managing, mining, and analyzing big data across multiple disciplines
- be able to use computation and computational thinking to gain new knowledge and to solve real-world problems of high complexity
- be able to communicate ideas and findings persuasively in written, oral, and visual form and to work in a diverse team environment
- apply advanced knowledge of computing and information systems applications to areas such as networking, database, security and privacy, and web technologies
- be prepared for career advancement in all areas of information science and technology
- be committed to continuous learning about emerging and innovative methods, technologies, and new ideas—and be able to use them to help others
- appreciate the professional, societal, and ethical considerations of data collection and use
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Data Visualization Workshop
- Data Science Practicum
- Database Systems
- Database Design
- Advanced Data Mining
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesData Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 175 other Masters in Machine Learning in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Undergraduate degrees in business, engineering, computer science, physical/life/social sciences, mathematics, the liberal arts, and education
- Statement of purpose: 300 - 600 words
- Official transcripts
- Minimum requirements for admission are a 3.0 GPA (out of 4.0), although other evidence of professional competence can be considered for students who do not meet this criteria
- Official GRE score
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent directly from ETS or testing agency
International22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22183 USD per year during 12 months.
National22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22183 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12292 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12292 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.