Students may also work in interdisciplinary areas. This emphasis selection provides excellent preparation for interdisciplinary doctoral studies. Entering students choosing this emphasis are not necessarily expected to have completed all the courses that an undergraduate physics major takes, but they should have a good grounding in classical physics or be willing to make up deficiencies. Interdisciplinary areas include:
- computational physics (scientific computing)
- chemical physics
- physical oceanography
- engineering physics.
The department currently has strong research programs in theoretical and computational aspects of acoustics, geophysics, electromagnetics, continuum mechanics, and astrophysics. Excellent experimental research activities are being conducted in condensed matter and materials physics, magnetism, spintronics, surface physics, and observational astronomy.
Entering students can to choose to follow a targeted applied physics emphasis or a traditional applied physics emphasis for their degree. Students who choose a targeted emphasis are those preparing for a career which targets specific areas of applied physics such as:
- Materials Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics View 397 other Masters in Physics in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or a 4-year degree equivalent from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad.
- Applicants enrolled in the final year of a bachelor's degree or international equivalent will be considered for conditional admission.
- 3.0 grade point average (GPA) on a 4-point scale for all graduate coursework
- GRE and GMAT are not required for applicants to the M.F.A. program in Fine Arts, the M.M. program in Music, the M.A. program in History and the M.S. program in Chemistry. GRE or GMAT may be waived for students entering Master’s programs and who already possess a graduate degree
International13678 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13678 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National9108 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9108 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.