Therefore, we concern ourselves with how candidates and students read, write, speak, listen to, think about, interact with, and create the plethora of texts that exist in their worlds. In addition to valuing print-based texts, we examine the reading and writing of audio, visual, gestural, spatial, and body texts. In our teaching we build on candidates’ strengths, build curriculum at The City University of New York around candidates’ lives, communities and cultures, and incorporate the creativity and insights of candidates as they make sense of the world. Literacy pedagogies link literacy learning with creative problem solving, inquiry-based learning, learning-centered classrooms, and multiple ways of weaving meaning out of the world. In turn, we demonstrate these pedagogical practices as models for candidates to implement with their own students.
Throughout the classes in this program, you will have the opportunities to explore key concepts within literacy including:
constructions of literacy assessments that are diverse and multimodal
utilizing literacies as tools to move people from passive objects to active subjects
the ways in which literacies can reflect, promote, and sustain bias and discrimination
the ways in which literacies can sustain collaborations and support self-actualization and advocacy to improve our lives, the lives of others in our communities, and the lives of people in the world
the role of school in the reproducing and changing of society
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Emergent to Fluent Literacy (for B-6th Certification)
- Fluent to Experienced Literacy (for 5th – 12th Certification)
- Literacy Strategies & Resources Across the Curriculum (for B-6th Certification)
- Literacy Strategies & Resources Across the Curriculum (for 5th – 12th Certification)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3549 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's Conferred Degree Date.
- A 3.0 average in the above degree & prerequisite courses.
- Three letters of reference: two must be current professional.
- A successful interview with literacy faculty.
- Initial New York State Certification in Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary Education or Special Education.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.