In this Literacy Program at The City University of New York, teachers increase their abilities to create effective literacy instruction for linguistically, socio-economically, and developmentally diverse classrooms. Teachers also develop skill in integrating in-depth knowledge of current research with active inquiry into literacy methodologies.
What you'll learn
The program is state-certified and graduates can be certified in one of two license strands: Birth to 6th Grade Literacy License or 5th to 12th Grade Literacy License
Each spring, the Literacy Program sponsors an Urban Educators' Conference. The conference offers interactive workshops led by teacher researchers and focusing on valuable teaching and literacy approaches.
Join an exciting, nationally accredited, graduate Literacy program that is committed to supporting urban educators. Work towards your New York State Permanent Certification as well as one of two literacy licenses: Birth-6th grade or 5-12th grade
- Learn how to differentiate instruction, motivate students, strengthen reading and writing abilities, and select and implement powerful resources.
- Become a critical consumer as well as producer of literacy research. Learn how to conduct your own action research study, explore cutting edge theoretical perspectives and immerse yourself in the most sound and innovative classroom practices.
- Learn how to organize literacy learning around an inquiry-based, learning-centered classroom.
- Expand your understanding of what literacy is and can be in your own and your students' lives. Increase you skill in supporting children and youth to make meaning and sense out of different kinds of texts and to cultivate their voice and agency as writers and learners.
- Become a reflective practitioner of your craft and a literacy leader in your chosen field!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Emergent to Fluent Literacy (for B-6th Certification)
- Fluent to Experienced Literacy (for 5th – 12th Certification)
- Literacy Strategies & Resources Across the Curriculum (for B-6th Certification)
- Literacy Strategies & Resources Across the Curriculum (for 5th – 12th Certification)
- First & Second Language/ Dialect and Literacy Acquisition
- Writing for Teachers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1460 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- A Bachelor's Conferred Degree Date.
- A 3.0 average in the above degree & prerequisite courses.
- Three letters of reference: two must be current professional.
- A successful interview with literacy faculty.
- Initial New York State Certification in Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary Education or Special Education.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.