The Art History program offers three possible tracks for the MA degree:
- Art History (30 credits)
- Art History with a concentration in Art Museum Studies (36 credits)
- Art History with a concentration in Art Museum Education (36 credits)
Courses of the MA in Art History at The City University of New York build expertise in the history and theory of art; the history, theory, and professional standards of art museums; and the theory and practice of art museum education. CCNY’s internationally recognized faculty members teach courses in the arts of Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America. All graduate courses meet once a week for three hours.
The Art History program at The City University of New York draws upon the resources of New York City’s dynamic arts sector. Students have the opportunity to obtain internships in New York museums, galleries, and cultural institutions. The MA degree prepares students to pursue careers in a range of art institutions, and/or to further their studies by going on to Ph.D. programs. Full-time students ideally take two years to complete the degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- African Art and Cosmopolitan Modernisms
- Problems in African Art History: Portraiture
- Exhibiting Art from Africa
- The Art of China, Japan, and Korea
- The Art of the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia
- The Artist in Society: Perspectives from the Indian Subcontinent
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Art History View 287 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have a degree (BA) from an accredited university and should have completed a minimum of 3-4 undergraduate courses (9-12 credits) in art history.
- GRE not required
- Minimum TOEFL/IELTS scores: 577 (PBT), 90-91 (IBT) or 6.5
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Personal statement of approximately one page
- Writing sample (8-to-10-page art history research paper)
- Two letters of reference should include at least one from a professor who can attest to the quality of the student’s academic work.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.