The Philosophy program of Loyola Marymount University is designed for students who seek the comprehensive background and training required for admission to and success in a Ph.D. program in Philosophy, as well as for those who wish to complement their studies in related disciplines with the Master of Arts in Philosophy. A special feature of our graduate program is the opportunity for students to acquire the skills associated with effective teaching as they broaden and deepen their philosophical understanding.
Upon successful completion of the M.A. Program in Philosophy, the student
- will be familiar with the major figures, movements, positions, and issues characterizing the ancient, medieval, modern, late modern, and contemporary periods in the history of Western Philosophy;
- will be able to make intelligent and critical use of the resources and tools required for thorough philosophical research and writing;
- will be able to interpret philosophical texts intelligently, critically, and charitably;
- will be able to analyze and evaluate philosophical arguments;
- will be capable of clear, coherent, and rigorous argumentation and expression in their own philosophical writing;
- will be able to communicate their interpretations of philosophical texts and their own critical views confidently in both informal and professional settings;
- will be able to engage in fruitful philosophical dialogue and discussion;
- will be able to formulate precisely and communicate clearly their own developing positions on the basic epistemological, metaphysical, and ethical questions;
- will have a clearer understanding and firmer grasp of the philosophical questions with which they themselves are most deeply concerned;
- will be familiar with the range of responsibilities associated with the professional side of the philosophical life.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classics of Chinese Philosophy
- Confucian Political Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the first term of their enrollment.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 240 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- Applicants must take the GRE. Usually, successful applicants have a combined verbal and quantitative score of at least 300 and an analytic writing score of at least 4.
- Completion of undergraduate major or minor in Philosophy
- Strong undergraduate preparation in a closely related field
- The competency of students with non-traditional backgrounds will be determined in interviews with the Program Director
- The average GPA of students entering our program is 3.5 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
- A Personal Statement of intent
- A Writing Sample (10-20 pages)
International15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 24 months.
National15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.