- The M.A.T. in Special Education at the Western Carolina University offers two areas of concentration: Adapted Curriculum Concentration and General Curriculum Concentration. Applicants are required to provide two essays: One outlining your professional goals and another based on a topic provided by the program.
- The M.A.T. in Special Education will develop your skills as a teacher and increase your understanding of working with special education populations. Students in the Adapted Curriculum concentration will take 42-semester hours of courses like Topics In Communication Disorders; Physical Care and Management of Students with Profound Disabilities; and Evidence-Based Methods for Teaching Students with Autism. Students in the General Curriculum concentration will take 42-semester hours of courses like Best Practices for Teaching Math to Exceptional Learners; Collaboration with Families and Professionals; and Culturally Responsive Classroom Management for Exceptional Learners. Both programs lead to recommendation of licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- WCU’s M.A.T. graduates will be eligible to teach special education populations in grades K-12. The National Education Association states the average salary for North Carolina public school teachers is $47,783 for the 2014-15 school year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is projecting a 6% increase in high school teacher hirings by 2022. There are also a number of opportunities across the nation and internationally for primary and secondary teachers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Special Education curriculum include:
- Foundations of Teacher Leadership in a Diverse Society
- Assessment of Instruction
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Teaching Exceptional Learners in Inclusive Classrooms
- Advanced Studies in Teacher Leadership
- Methods of Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 1231 other Masters in Education in United States
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- 3.0 average on last half of undergraduate program or 2.85 overall GPA
- A written essay
- Three letters of recommendation
- Acceptance into Western Carolina University's Graduate School
International20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5015 USD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.