- The School Counseling program offered by Western Carolina University is a 60-semester hour program that utilizes the traditional classroom setting along with practical experience. Some of the issues covered in the classroom include: human growth and development; social and cultural foundations of counseling; and professional counselor orientation. Students will also explore issues related to mental health counseling such as ethics and legal issues. Outside of the classroom students will engage in at least 600 hours of hands-on learning during a full-time internship. Graduates are prepared to pursue the post-Master's Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) credential.
- Mental health counselors have the opportunity to work in a variety of environments like college campuses, non-profit organizations, county mental health services, substance abuse centers and other places. This important work gives you the opportunity to make a significant change in the lives of individuals by helping them overcome various mental and emotional issues. Western Carolina University’s Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is intentionally designed to give you the skills you need to pursue the employment you are passionate about. This program is nationally CACREP-accredited.
- There are a number of organizations in need of qualified mental health counselors. Some destinations for employment are domestic violence shelters, mental health facilities, college campuses and substance abuse centers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average salary for mental health counselors is $43,990 and is predicting the job field to increase 29% by 2022.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
School Counseling curriculum include:
- Professional and Ethical Issues in Counseling
- The Helping Relationship
- Family Counseling
- Cross-Cultural Counseling
- Addictions Counseling or SOCW 520: Addictions
- Developmental Perspectives in Counseling
- Theories and Techniques of Counseling
- Crisis Counseling
- Group Methods in Counseling
- Measurement and Appraisal in Counseling
- Career Development
- The DSM and Effective Treatment in Counseling
- Methods of Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 981 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- GRE test scores (if applicable)
- The WCU graduate application form
- Three recommendations for graduate study (we prefer that recommendations be academic or employment-related)
- Responses to 4 essay paragraph prompts (2000 character count each)
International20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5015 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Asheville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.