The selection process involves submission of an application and an interview at the UT-Houston Medical School. Approximately 30-35 people are selected to interview from a pool of 90-100 applicants. Interviews are held in the spring and final notification of admission to the program is carried out in compliance with guidelines set forth by the Association of Genetic Counseling Program Directors (AGCPD) on a pre-determined universal acceptance date, typically in late April.
Genetic counseling is an exciting career choice. Genetic counselors work with families to help them understand and cope with the complex medical options and decisions which they now face.
- Topics in Medical Genetics I
- Introduction to Genetic Counseling
- Developmental Anatomy
- Prenatal Genetic Counseling
- Psychosocial Issues in Genetic Counseling
- Ethics in Biomedical Sciences
For more information, please visit the programme website.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesCounselling Genetics View 896 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- All applicants must take the General Test of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE). Scores are valid from the preceding 5 years
- A GPA of 3.0 or greater is required. Successful applicants generally have a GPA of 3.5 or better and GRE scores in the 75% range
- Client advocacy experience (crisis counseling/Planned Parenthood)
- Volunteer experience
- Genetic counseling internship/shadowing/exposure
- Undergraduate or graduate coursework in: Biology, Psychology, Genetics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Calculus, Statistics
- An interview in Houston is required for admission to this program
International767 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 767 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National767 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 767 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State162 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 162 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.