- The MA in Journalism at the Hofstra University is constructed on the foundation of a strong sequence of study within a core curriculum that teaches fundamental reporting and multimedia skills, critical thinking, and effective oral and written expression in order to prepare individuals for careers as truthful and accurate media professionals, including reporters, producers, editors and broadcasters.
- After completing a core of journalism ethics, reporting, writing and multimedia skills courses, students may pursue study in the specialized fields of sports and entertainment journalism, or community and investigative journalism.
- Frameworks of Contemporary Journalism
- Advanced Contemporary Journalism
- Innovative News Platforms and Product Development
- Journalism Ethics and Law
- The Craft of Editing
- Capstone Project
- TV News Reporting, Videography and Editing
- Feature Reporting for Radio and Podcast
- Sports Journalism
- Entertainment Journalism
- Media Relations Techniques for the Sports and Entertainment Industries
- Media in Sports and Entertainment Industries
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesJournalism Digital Communication View 153 other Masters in Journalism in United States
- Prospective students should have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution, and earned an overall grade point average of at least 3.00.
- In addition to a completed application and an official transcript of undergraduate work, applicants should submit a personal essay as a writing sample. This should be a 500 to 750 word essay describing personal and educational history, past employment, volunteer work or related experience in the applicant's intended field of study, plans for graduate study and plans for a professional career.
- Applicants must also submit a current resume, transcripts, and two letters of recommendation.
- Although not required for admission, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit any published newspaper, magazine, or online clips they may have.
- GRE scores are not required for the MA in journalism, but may be submitted.
- An interview is sometimes requested by the program director for admission to the program.
International28890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
National28890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.