The English MA program from Arizona State University allows students to explore specific subject areas while working across a range of subdisciplines within English such as literary studies, rhetorical studies, composition and linguistics.
With an emphasis on teaching and research, the program includes electives to encourage students to pursue interdisciplinary inquiry and the culminating experience primes graduates for critical and eloquent engagement with the world beyond the university.
Equally suited to prepare candidates for doctoral study or to advance the careers of area educators in the language arts, the degree also prepares graduates to begin careers in one of the many professions that value creativity, critical thinking and highly skilled communication.
The ability to influence and motivate behavior through the power of well-crafted language is a skill valued in every industry dependent upon customers, employees, suppliers or investors.
Graduates with a master's degree in English are able to use language to accomplish organizational goals; possess advanced critical thinking abilities and advanced skills for clear and effective verbal communication; are able to construct well-supported and persuasive arguments; can perform complex textual analysis; are knowledgeable about historical trends in written discourse; have an awareness of the role of literary discourse in broader social and historical contexts; and have the ability to engage in big picture thinking.
Career examples include:
- advertising copywriting
- business communication
- community college teaching
- digital copywriting
- educational consulting
- grant writing
- market research
- media research
- nonprofit consulting
- public relations
- secondary teaching (as continuing education)
- social media management
- technical writing
- web content management
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Critical Theories
- Comparative Ethnic Studies, Theory and Practice
- Cross-Cultural Studies
- Methods and Issues in Teaching Language
- History of the English Language
- Old English Literature
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 753 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree, in any field, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program; or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- statement of purpose
- three letters of recommendation
- an academic writing sample (preferred) or professional writing sample
- resume or curriculum vitae (optional)
- GRE scores (if applicable)
- proof of English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Peoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.