The hydrographer is involved with every aspect of ocean data from bathymetric mapping of the ocean floor, managing large marine data sets, exploring for the minerals that lie far beneath, measuring currents, tides and waves, and observing the ocean environment.
The Hydrographic Science degrees at the University of Southern Mississippi comprise only 1 of 3 programs in the North America that are Recognized by the International Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers for technical professionals.
What Will I Learn?
- Data mining for all existing spatially-related information for the project area
- Planning, preparation and development of Hydrographic Survey Specifications for the project area
- Data collection (multi-beam, single-beam, side-scan sonar, tides, sound velocity, shoreline, navaids, etc.)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classical Geodesy
- Hydrographic Data Management
- Kinematic Positioning
- Applied Bathymetry
- Oceanography for Hydrographers
- Practical Hydrographic Science
- Nautical Science
- Remote Sensing for Hydrographers
- Water Levels
- Math Concepts for Hydrographers
- Applied Ocean Acoustics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Data Science & Big Data View 79 other Masters in Hydrology & Water Management in United States
- Successful completion of the Graduate Record Examination (all sections) and a high grade point average for the last two years of undergraduate study.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to assess the applicant's readiness for graduate study.
- A letter of intent should also be addressed to the school director expressing personal academic, research, and career goals.
- A minimum score of 80 is required on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 6.5 is required on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree that includes courses in single variable calculus, multi-variable calculus and physics. A course in differential equations is recommended. Applicants should also be familiar with linear algebra, statistics, and MATLAB programming.
International488 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 488 USD per credit during 24 months.
National488 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 488 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for West Hattiesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.