The Communication Studies MA program from Arizona State University provides exposure to a variety of research methods, communication theories and practical applications, with a special emphasis on advocacy. Students use multiple perspectives to explore a variety of topics and issues in communication.
These include how individuals and collectives participate effectively in personal relationships, organizational settings and public dialogues across cultural contexts and via social technologies. Students also attend to the impact and effects of media, mediated representations, and new technologies, while learning to use communication strategically to advocate for others.
Although advocacy is a defining theme in the curriculum, students can tailor the program to their personal goals, focusing on topics such as interpersonal, organizational, sport, environmental, global or technology-mediated communication.
The Master of Arts degree program in communication studies helps prepare graduates for jobs in corporate communication, journalism, mass media, politics, higher education or a wide range of other fields. Graduates already employed may find the skills they acquired through the program are helpful for career advancement; some leadership positions require a master's degree. Those interested in changing careers may pursue a master's in a communication studies to align with their particular professional goals. This master's degree can also prepare graduates for doctoral studies where they will conduct research or a career in higher education educating students.
Career examples include:
- fundraising manager
- human resources manager
- internal communications manager
- learning and development analyst
- marketing: account executive, consultant or research analyst
- political campaign manager
- professor: community college, tenure-track or nontenure track academic (e.g., lecturer, admissions director, academic advisor, etc.)
- sales account executive
- speech writer
- technical communication specialist
- web producer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory and Practice in Communication and Persuasion
- Argumentation and Advocacy
- Methods in Applied Communication Research
- Humanistic Inquiry and Field Research in Communication
- Applied Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Public Relations Digital Communication View 122 other Masters in Public Relations in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree, in any field, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- statement of purpose
- three letters of recommendation
- an academic writing sample (preferred) or professional writing sample
- resume or curriculum vitae (optional)
- proof of English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Peoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.