Biomedical engineering is the fastest growing occupation according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Biomedical engineers design the next generation of systems and treatments that will advance the quality of life for patients. They develop medical devices, materials, and computer models that detect and treat disease. Biomedical engineers are responsible for the creation of artificial organs, automated patient monitoring, blood chemistry sensors, advanced therapeutic and surgical devices, application of expert systems and artificial intelligence to clinical decision making, design of optimal clinical laboratories, medical imaging systems, computer modeling of physiological systems, biomaterials design, and biomechanics for injury and wound healing, among many others. There are a wide variety of job opportunities in fields such as cellular, tissue, genetic, clinical, and rehabilitation engineering, bioinstrumentation, biomaterials, biomechanics, drug design and delivery, medical imaging, orthopedic surgery, pharmaceuticals, and systems physiology.
Biomedical Engineering is a highly multidisciplinary, application-oriented field. Students are encouraged to pursue research projects in one of the many cutting-edge research labs across campus. Opportunities are also available with local clinical, research and industry partners, including Eastern Virginia Medical School, Sentara, and the nearly 20 institutions and companies that comprise Bioscience Hampton Roads.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Applied Research Center
- Biomechanics Laboratory
- Biomachina Laboratory
- Cardiac Electrophysiology Laboratory
- Cellular Mechanobiology Laboratory
- Center for Brain Research and Rehabilitation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Bioinformatics View 229 other Masters in Bioinformatics in United States
- Completion of a bachelor's degree in Engineering, Science or Mathematics from an accredited institution
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (out of 4.0) is required of most students.
- Recent scores, typically, not more than five years old, on the Graduate Record Examination's (GRE) verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing sections must be submitted by all applicants.
- Two letters of recommendation
- The applicant must submit a resume and a statement of purpose and goals.
- Foundation knowledge in physics, basic chemistry, computer programming, and mathematics is expected.
International1320 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1320 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National523 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 523 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.