As a public university with strong ties to local public school systems, there’s no better place to get your MEd. The 37-credit program includes opportunities to work with youth during your first two semesters in a variety of settings, a pre-practicum semester where you are in the classroom for 100 hours during that time, and a final semester teaching full-time in a middle or high school classroom.
Students in the Middle and Secondary Education program at the University of Massachusetts Boston can choose to complete our campus program where students take 2-3 courses a semester and complete their pre-practicum in their penultimate semester and their practicum in their final semester. This program takes 1-3 years to complete depending on how many course students complete each semester and when they matriculate.
Students can also choose to participate in the Teach Next Year (TNY) pathway. The TNY pathway seeks committed individuals interested in making a positive impact on students’ success in our partnering schools.
The program is designed to build on the interests and expertise of its students, faculty, and the student in Boston Public Schools. Because it is an intensive site-based educational experience, it provides the support of professors, practitioners, and colleagues while it supplies the challenge of study, practice, and exploration.
- This course of study provides a developmental perspective as a starting place, follows with an inquiry into the issues that face contemporary educators and schools, looks at techniques for improving middle and secondary students’ reading and writing across the curriculum, and examines research into methods of teaching middle/secondary school subjects.
- The capstone of the program for the initial licensure is the semester-long supervised practicum and the accompanying portfolio.
- Sociocultural Foundations of Education
- Inclusion PreK-12: Diversity and Equity in Inclusive Settings
- Developmental Stages across the Lifespan
- New Literacies and Emerging Technologies across the Content Areas
- Using Data to Plan Curriculum and Instruction
- Rethinking Equity and Teaching for English Language Learners
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Secondary Education Literacy Education View 3389 other Masters in Education in United States
- Bachelor's Degree
- Online Application and Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Test Scores: Communication and Literacy MTEL
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
International36880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18440 USD per semester during 12 months.
National36880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18440 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18894 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9447 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.