Gain experience in creative media making, critical analysis and reflection, and entrepreneurship and management - guided by a faculty that includes noted film and media-makers, researchers, designers, and scholars with the Master of Arts program in Media Studies from The New School .
Our flexible curriculum and limited number of required courses let you design your own path through the program. You may plan in-depth study in one or more of the subject areas listed below, sample a variety of subjects and approaches, or both. Students pursuing the MA in Media Studies also have the option of completing the graduate certificate in Media Management or a graduate minor as part of their course of study.
Graduates of the Media Studies program work in diverse fields around the world, including documentary and narrative film and media production, multiplatform transmedia and digital storytelling and marketing, media management, and media research, as well as media advocacy and education. Some continue to PhDs and scholarly careers, while others produce innovative work as artists and designers. Our graduates have been recognized with top media and film festival awards, as well as accolades for scholarly contributions and media business innovations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Digital cinema production
- Documentary studies
- Media analytics
- Media history, criticism, and philosophy
- Sound studies
- Transmedia and digital storytelling
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Priority Deadline: January 15
- Second Deadline: May 5
- International Applicant Deadline: June 15
- Non-degree and Readmit Deadline: August 1
- Final Deadline for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents: August 1
- Priority Deadline: November 1
- Non-degree and Readmit Deadline: November 15
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 235 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The Master of Arts in Media Studies program welcomes applications from individuals whose education and experience demonstrates motivation and creativity. Recent college graduates, people working in related fields, and career changers are all welcome. GRE or GMAT test scores are not required.
- Complete a Statement of Purpose
- Submit Your Résumé or CV
- Submit Two Letters of Recommendation
- Submit Official Transcripts
- Our Mailing Address
- Consider Submitting a Writing Sample
- Submit Your Optional Creative Sample or Required Portfolio
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33345 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1710 USD per credit during 24 months.
National33345 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1710 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.