Music at Western Washington University may be used as a preparation for doctoral studies in music, or it may serve as a terminal degree. Minimum credits for each concentration is 45.
The composition concentration includes course work in composition, music history, and music theory as well as a thesis (original composition). Ensembles, studio instruction, and course work in conducting are also available.
The music history and literature concentration includes seminars in music history, work in notation, courses in music theory, performance (including the Collegium Musicum), and a written thesis.
The performance concentration includes vocal or instrumental studio instruction, work with small and large ensembles, and course work in music history and music theory. Pianists may emphasize solo performance, pedagogy, or accompanying. Studies in jazz areas are available.
The conducting concentration includes course work in conducting, music history, and music theory, and a conducting practicum to fulfill the thesis requirement. Ensembles and studio instruction are also available.
To prepare students for professional-level work in music, as performers (singers, instrumentalists, or conductors), composers, scholars, educators, or in a combination of these areas.
- Seminar in Music History: Medieval-Renaissance
- Seminar in Music History: Baroque-Classical
- Seminar in Music History: Romantic-Contemporary
- Graduate Study of Music
- Analytical Techniques: 20th-Century Musical Practices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Music Composition View 640 other Masters in Musicology in United States
- The prerequisite for the Master of Music degree is the completion of a Bachelor of Music, or Bachelor of Arts in Music prior to first quarter of enrollment. Students must first complete a graduate application through the graduate school.
- Those applying for the MM in Performance must complete an audition on their primary instrument.
- Those applying for the MM in Composition must provide a portfolio of recent works.
- Those applying for the MM in Conducting must provide a video of recent conducting performance, by way of online submission or DVD.
- Those applying for the MM in Music Education concentration are accepted following an interview, either in person or through an e-conference.
International25640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25640 USD per year during 24 months.
National11023 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11023 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State4321 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4321 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bellingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.