All incoming graduate students must take the graduate diagnostic examination in music theory. Current graduate students must take the comprehensive examination, which includes a music history section, before being admitted to candidacy.The School of Music offers master of music degrees in the following areas:
- Choral conducting
- Composition with an emphasis in arranging
- Organ performance with an emphasis in church music
- Performance (concentrations in piano, organ, organ with church music emphasis, voice and individual orchestral instruments)
- Performance (woodwind option)
- Piano accompanying
- Wind conducting
- Seminar in Musicology
- Proseminar in Ethnomusicology
- Special Topics in Musicology
- Special Topics in Musicology and Ethnomusicology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 1112 other Masters in Music in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.