Many of our Music Theory graduates have successful careers as professors or lecturers at colleges and universities in Texas, the U.S. and abroad. Others work with music publishers or in large research libraries.
You'll be mentored to present research at conferences (local, national and international) and publish essays in scholarly journals. The division publishes three refereed scholarly journals:
- Theoria: Historical Aspects of Music Theory – the only international journal devoted to the history of music theory
- Journal of Schenkerian Studies – representing an international level of research and analysis
- Harmonia – a publication run by and featuring the work of our graduate students
University of North Texas is home to the Center of Schenkerian Studies, which boasts a rich collection of unpublished papers and analyses by Schenkerians ripe for discovery and research.
The entire division continues to evolve with growing interest in various fields, most recently in Czech and Central European music, jazz theory and pop-music analysis, to name a few.
International study abroad programs can provide you with an array of learning experiences. We collaborate with institutions and scholars in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America for these opportunities.
The Graduate Association of Musicologists und Theorists (GAMuT) is an active group of graduate students who organize an annual academic conference, publish Harmonia and host regular professional development meetings, faculty and student research presentations and social gatherings.
The College of Music is one of the nation's most comprehensive music schools and is recognized internationally for its artistic and academic excellence. It's accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. This accreditation means the college meets or exceeds strict academic standards for excellence in education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The program offer course work leading to a Master of Arts or Doctor of Philosophy degree in Music with a concentration in Music Theory. You'll be taught by faculty members who've garnered national and international recognition for their research. Our comprehensive curriculum exposes you to:
- Analytical techniques covering the entire history of Western music practice
- Applied studies in contrapuntal composition
- History of music theory with direct study of treatises
- Music theory pedagogy with on-site involvement in class instruction
- Special focus seminars on music and psychoanalysis, semiotics, transformational theory, post-tonal theory and others
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Art History Music History View 970 other Masters in Music in United States
- Academic résumé/curriculum vitae
- Portfolio consisting of two analytical essays
- Statement of personal interest
- Three letters of recommendation
International30164 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30164 USD per year during 12 months.
National30164 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30164 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State22568 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22568 USD per year during 12 months.
Estimated expenses for international students will be provided on their immigration documents by the Division of International Affairs.
Living costs for Denton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.