The English program offered by University of Nevada, Reno is designed for students who plan to continue work toward the Ph.D., for potential community college teachers, for individuals who want to acquire overall background in the study of language and literature, and for those interested in writing and editing careers.
During our M.A. in English program at University of Nevada, Reno students will:
- Gain broad knowledge of several of the historical fields in, literary genres of, and major critical approaches to British, American, and World Literatures in English; or, broad knowledge of writing studies issues and methodologies; or broad knowledge in literary and rhetorical public engagement and its methodologies, or broad knowledge of linguistics issues and methodologies.
- demonstrate specialized competence in the primary and secondary literature of an appropriate specialized sub-field of literature or writing or public engagement or language.
Whether you wish to begin a new career, start on the path to a professorship or simply enhance your current professional skill set, a Master of Arts in English can serve as an important step in your journey. Master's-level English study helps students build subject-matter expertise and introduces them to the demands of graduate-level research and writing.
In addition to those who have advanced to the University's Ph.D. in English, graduates of this program have entered successful careers in writing, publishing, community college teaching, business and nonprofits. Others have been accepted to Ph.D. programs at other top-rated universities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Graduate Study
- Principles of Modern Grammar
- Introduction to Phonology
- Old English
- Applied Linguistics
- Historical Linguistics
- History of the English Language
- Introduction to Old Norse
- Language and Gender
- language and Culture
- Problems in Language
- Problems in Modern Grammatical Study
- Problems in Medieval English
- Document Design
- Fundamentals of Technical Writing
- Tutoring Student Writers
- Contemporary Rhetorical Theory and Criticism
- Literary Nonfiction
- Contemporary Rhetoric
- Research in Rhetoric and Composition
- Problems in Writing
- Classical Through Medieval Rhetoric
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 701 other Masters in Languages in United States
Applicants to the English M.A. program must hold a bachelor's degree with an undergraduate major or minor in English or its equivalent and a cumulative GPA.
International21006 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21006 USD per year during 12 months.
National21006 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21006 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State5352 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5352 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Reno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.