The Department of Romance Languages and Literatures is pleased to invite applications to its Master's Program in French and Francophone Studies . This program at University of Notre Dame provides an interdisciplinary approach to the study of French and Francophone cultures with a wide range of courses covering the entire spectrum of literary history combined with allied courses in art history, cultural studies, comparative literature, film, literary theory, history, and philosophy. Students are encouraged to adapt the program to their individual needs and interests in close collaboration with the faculty. In fact, Notre Dame is especially suited to those students desiring close contact with scholars in the field, whether for guidance or for more focused study.
Founded in 1842 by a French missionary of the order “Congrégation de Sainte Croix,” based in Le Mans, France, the University of Notre Dame has a firm and deep commitment to the study of France, French literature, and the Francophone world at the graduate level. Our distinguished faculty in the Program of French and Francophone Studies represent the array of disciplines from the medieval through the modern periods and include specialists in North African, sub-Saharan, and Caribbean Francophone literatures.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Money Matters in French Literature
- Christine de Pizan: A Woman Intellectual in Context
- Auteurs/Autour du Port-Royal
- Renaissance Lyric Poetry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 636 other Masters in Literature in United States
- At least two of the three required letters of recommendation must be submitted by professors in the proposed field of graduate work, with whom the candidate has recently studied.
- Results of the GRE must be reported, and if you are not a native English speaker, you must take the TOEFL and have your score reported to the Graduate School.
- A recent paper in the language of the proposed field of study, as well as one in English if you are not a native speaker of English must be submitted.
- The above items must be submitted via the Graduate School's Apply Yourself on-line application system.
- In addition, the following materials should be sent to the Linda Rule, Romance Lang & Lit, 343 O'Shaughnessy Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A compact disc or MP3 file, which should demonstrate your competency in French if you are native speaker of English, or in English if you are a native speaker of the language you plan to study.
International55308 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55308 USD per year during 24 months.
National55308 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55308 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for South Bend
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.