About the program
Most academic and professional institutions of higher education recognize the Master of Fine Arts in Design as the terminal degree for designers. This degree has become the standard prerequisite for those who intend to teach at the college level. It is also appropriate for individuals seeking to further develop their professional careers as design thinkers and researchers. The department also awards the M.A. degree, but only to students who are not accepted to degree candidacy in the M.F.A. program.
The Department of Art, Art History and Design at University of Notre Dame offers the M.F.A. degree focusing on industrial design or visual communication design.
The Design program combines studio work with academic studies in art history and criticism. Students may concentrate in industrial design or visual communication design plus explore areas of fine arts including ceramics, painting, photography, printmaking, or sculpture as well as other areas of interest at the university.
Students pursue areas of interest through a system of independent study with departmental faculty and a graduate committee selected by each student. Graduate students are expected to develop a personal direction in their work that culminates in a professional exhibition of design and research.
- Painting/Printmaking Seminar
- Photography Seminar
- Sculpture/Ceramic Seminar
- VCOM and ID Seminar
- Professional Practices
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design View 113 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
- Graduate student applicants are evaluated primarily on the basis of a portfolio of twenty images, three letters of recommendation, and transcripts. All applicants must write a statement of intent indicating their goals for the M.F.A. degree and their expectations for graduate studies. Please use our M.F.A. checklist as a guide to applying for our program. While applicants are strongly encouraged to apply to one main disciplinary area, those who wish to apply to two areas are permitted to submit one application through the online system and then submit independent portfolios for each respective area in Slideroom.
- Unofficial transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended
- Arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted
- Attach your resume or curriculum vitae
- Attach your statement of intent
- Complete the general form information
International59644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59644 USD per year during 36 months.
National59644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59644 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for South Bend
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.