About the Program
The flexible degree English program at Virginia Commonwealth University enables students to develop intellectually in a stimulating and supportive environment. Designed for students seeking study beyond a bachelor’s degree, the program prepares graduates subsequently to pursue a doctorate, teach in secondary or higher education, or obtain other positions in the public and private sector.
- MA-Research (Specialized Focus) – for students pursuing advanced English studies with an emphasis on research, criticism, and methodology. Suitable for students considering a PhD or for those desiring to write an MA thesis. Students may choose to focus their coursework in either Literature or Writing and Rhetoric.
- Children's Literature
- Applied English Linguistics
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- Studies in British Literature and Culture
- Young Adult Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 834 other Masters in Literature in United States
- An online application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition
- The $70 application fee (payable by credit card through the VCU Online Application)
- A personal statement (statement of purpose)
- Declare (check appropriate box) your intention to enroll part time, full time, and/or full time with consideration for possible assistantship.
- A PDF or MSWord doc file of an academic writing sample ranging from 10-20 double-spaced pages
- Three letters of reference are required
- Transcripts from each undergraduate institution you attended
- Official scores for the GRE General Test are no longer required (but can still be submitted if desired)
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.