About this Degree
Degree requirements include three credit hours of production-based coursework and six hours of thesis credit, culminating in a written thesis on a chosen topic.
To be admitted, a student ordinarily is expected to have a Graduate Record Examination score of at least 160 verbal (formerly 600), 144 quantitative (formerly 500), and 4.5 analytical writing.
To complete the M.A., the student must sustain a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher through 33 graduate credit hours.
The Department of Film and Media Studies at University of Kansas unites the inquiry of the academic with the practice and technique of the artist. Scholars and filmmakers work and study together in an environment of mutual encouragement and collegiality.
Officially accredited/recognized by the The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, University of Kansas (KU) is a very large (enrollment range: 30,000-34,999 students) coeducational higher education institution.
- Graduate Study in Film/Media
- Survey of Film and Media History
- Contemporary Film and Media Theory
- Film Seminar
- Production: One graduate level (600 or above) FMS production class in consultation with advisor
- Select 9 hours of courses including: 3 credits of FMS graduate level courses at the 600 level or above, 6 credits of non-FMS electives at the 500 level or above.
- Master's Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 347 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- An official transcript, sent directly to KU, from every previous college or university attended (copies issued to students are not accepted).
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation, two of which should be from your current or former teachers.
- A current resume of academic and artistic experiences.
- A statement of personal goals that explains why you want to pursue graduate study.
- A writing sample (no more than 15 pages) that demonstrates your ability to theorize, analyze, and synthesize scholarly information.
- Non-native English speakers must demonstrate proof of English proficiency before gaining admission to a graduate program.
International23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
National23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9989 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9989 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.