The program ranks among the top museum training programs in the United States. Students receive advanced study and practical working experience through internship affiliations with more than 60 museums and cultural organizations, including the Smithsonian Institution.
The M.A. program in Museum Studies at George Washington University offers concentrated coursework in Collections Management, Exhibitions and Community Engagement, and Museum Management & Leadership. Students may also choose to focus their academic core in American Studies, Anthropology, History, or an interdisciplinary combination.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Museum Management
- Managing People/Managing Projects
- Museum Collections: Theory and Practice
- Preventive Conservation Concepts
- Preventive Conservation Techniques
- Museum Exhibitions, Curatorial Practice and Planning
- Museum Exhibition Design
- Museum Internship
- Directed Research
- Interpretation of Historic Houses and Sites
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMuseum Studies View 70 other Masters in Museum Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two (2) recommendations (one, academic and the other, museum-related)
- Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript.
- Statement of purpose: In a short essay, state your purpose in undertaking graduate study in your chosen field. Include your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans. Also discuss your related qualifications, including collegiate, museum, other professional, and community activities. A professional resume is required.
International1720 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1720 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.