The cross-disciplinary program allows students to study with a variety of faculty members who are knowledgeable about the classical formulations of Islam, and have on-the-ground experience in Muslim-majority countries and communities. Centrally located in Washington, D.C., the program offers students the opportunity to interact with U.S. government agencies, think tanks, non-governmental institutions, and the large Muslim community residing and working in the metro area.
The Islamic Studies program at George Washington University also offers “non-traditional students” such as working professionals, civil servants, and employees of international agencies the opportunity to tailor the program to their particular needs.
As a graduate or professional student at GW, you will engage in research- and practice-based programs that extend far beyond our classrooms and campuses and contribute to your personal, professional and intellectual growth.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Islamic Historiographies
- Qur’an and Hadith
- Islamic Law
- Topics in the Study of Islam
- Thesis Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Languages Islamic Studies View 66 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two (2) recommendations
- Prior academic records:Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be uploaded to your online application.
- Official transcripts are required only of applicants who are offered admission.If transcripts are in a language other than English, English language translations must be provided. The English translation alone should be uploaded into your application.
- Statement of purpose: In an essay of 250 – 500 words
International65700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1825 USD per credit during 12 months.
National65700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1825 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.