About Art History at The University of Iowa
The School of Art and Art History provides a creative, multidisciplinary environment for students of the studio arts and the history of art. Established in 1936, the school is firmly grounded in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. It encourages interaction among its diverse faculty as well as collaboration with related disciplines across campus.
Iowa's art and art history graduates enjoy success as practicing professional artists, professors of art history, teachers, museum directors and curators, theater designers, commercial designers, and art administrators.
Many art and art history graduates pursue careers that match their degree specializations, such as commercial or graphic designer, conservation or museum curator or administrator, art educator, public artist, gallery and museum administration, art appraisal, and restoration, or community art center coordinator or instructor.
- Art and Visual Culture
- Masterpieces: Art in Historical and Cultural Perspectives
- Buyer Beware! Fakes, Thefts, and the Global Art Market
- Themes in Global Art
- Arts of Africa
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 799 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A 1,000-word statement of purpose
- A research paper (preferably from an art history course) or thesis
- Supplemental Information Form
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
International31905 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31905 USD per year during 12 months.
National31905 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31905 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9942 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.