Program Strengths and Opportunities
- Study the evolution of trees as drivers of terrestrial biodiversity with the Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology program of Michigan Technological University. Work on important developments related to climate change response, for example, growing the right species in the right places.
- DNA microarray, DNA sequencing, remote sensing, plant and soil ecology: 6,500 feet of labs and facilities, 2,000 feet of greenhouse, and 5,397 acres of research forest. Collaborative research labs and institutions across campus.
- A 100-percent job placement rate for graduate students in this discipline.
- Tap into the wide breadth of expertise within our small, friendly academic community. Get to know us, and find who you want to work with.
- Research degrees are non-specific, and we intentionally set a low number of required classes, unless your committee requires them.
- Explore your interests with your committee and your advisor to define the optimal educational experience.
Where you'll work
Our 6,500 square feet of lab space and 2,000 square feet of greenhouse space provide ample opportunities for research. Our facilities include DNA sequencing and microarray labs, metabolome and genome profiling labs, tissue culture and tree transformation labs, and ecological genomics labs. Study comparative gene expression and conduct genomic analysis using functional genomics instrumentation in our molecular biology facilities.
- Woody Plants of North America
- Forest Certification
- Forest Management
- Economic Analysis of Forestry
- Advanced Terrestrial Ecology
- Restoration Ecology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply at least a semester in advance of projected admission to improve your chances of receiving funding.
DisciplinesBiotechnology Forestry Genetics View 52 other Masters in Forestry in United States
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (1 Letter of Recommendation for Michigan Tech students)
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Please view our faculty web page and identify three faculty members that you would like to work with
- TOEFL: Required Score of 79 iBT
- IELTS: Required Overall Band Score of 6.5
International23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
National23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houghton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.