Program Strengths and Opportunities
- Understand ecosystem and organism functions in natural and managed forest landscapes, from invasive worms to beech reintroduction.
- 6,500 feet of lab space, 2,000 of greenhouse, 5,397 acres of research forest.
- Learn to balance forest management objectives for a variety of interests, from forest health to industrial and recreational needs.
- Tap into the wide breadth of expertise within our small, friendly academic community. Get to know us, and find who you want to work with.
- Research degrees are non-specific, and we intentionally set a low number of required classes, unless your committee requires them.
- Explore your interests with your committee and your advisor to define the optimal educational experience.
Where you'll workThe Forest Ecology Management program of Michigan Technological University is active in the Ecosystem Science Center and the University-wide Michigan Forest Biomaterials Initiative. Our faculty actively participate in other multidisciplinary centers and institutes at Michigan Tech, including the Life Science and Technology Institute, the Michigan Tech Research Institute, the Sustainable Futures Institute, and the Michigan Tech Transportation Institute. We also partner with the USDA Forest Service Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science. Our research projects have been conducted in national forests and national parks.
- Woody Plants of North America
- Forest Certification
- Forest Management
- Economic Analysis of Forestry
- Advanced Terrestrial Ecology
- Restoration Ecology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply at least a semester in advance of projected admission to improve your chances of receiving funding.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Management Forestry Ecology View 231 other Masters in Ecology in United States
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (1 Letter of Recommendation for Michigan Tech students)
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- GRE not required
- TOEFL: Required Score of 79 iBT
- IELTS: Required Overall Band Score of 6.5
- Due to recent changes within our University, Michigan Tech requires a minimum 79 overall TOEFL or 6.5 overall IELTS score.
International23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
National23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houghton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.