The emphasis of the Art program of The University of Texas at San Antonio is on conceptual development and its harmony with formal aesthetic and art historical considerations. The objective of the degree is to provide advanced study in the field of art in preparation for a career as a practicing artist, in higher education, or as a professional in other art enterprise.
Why Pursue an M.F.A. at UTSA?
- The caliber of UTSA Art Department faculty, all of whom have outstanding exhibition records which are part of major museum collections and have shown internationally
- The small size of our graduate program allows for more student-faculty contact and a more personalized and intensive experience
- We offer the Margaret Denslow Harris Graduate Fellowship in Studio Art, which provides a $20,000 award to one graduate student applicant seeking to complete the MFA degree in a visual art studio discipline at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).
- Ranked in the top tier at #114 by US News and World Report.
The alumni from our department have followed multiple career paths, including being a professional artist showing in multiple venues, galleries, and museums; public art and installation; teaching at the secondary, community college, and university levels; curatorial work in galleries and museums; art-related community service on municipal and cultural boards; working with non-profit galleries and programs; departmental and administrative positions in an academic setting; as well as the creation of personal art in the private sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- New Media
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 652 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Bachelor’s of Fine Arts or the equivalent is required. Equivalency is defined as completion of a minimum of 45 semester credit hours in studio art and 15 semester credit hours in art history as part of, or in addition to, a bachelor’s degree
- A completed a Graduate School application
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of intent concerning graduate school
- English proficiency test scores
- An artist’s statement about the applicant’s work. Artist Statements and Statements of Purpose should be submitted as separate files
- The portfolio is the most important part of the application for admission. Applicants should submit 20 images that best exemplify their most recent creative work
International16068 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16068 USD per year during 12 months.
National16068 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16068 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State4002 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4002 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.