After the MBBE department was established, the PMP Graduate Program was reorganized, expanded and renamed as the Graduate Program in MBBE in 2000. The program’s scope was widened to include molecular biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, cell biology, biotechnology, and engineering aspects of plant science, tropical agriculture, aquaculture, environmental bioremediation, bioprocessing, and biomedical sciences.
With this programmatic expansion, faculty and scientists from other UHM departments and scientific institutes in Hawaii were welcomed into the Program as co-operating and affiliate graduate faculty. The number of students also increased. Guidelines and requirements were developed to maintain high academic standards.
These guidelines are reviewed regularly to ensure relevance and contemporariness of the various curricula and fields of study. Currently, many MBBE graduate students are supervised by faculty from John A. Burns School of Medicine, Cancer Research Center, Pacific Biomedical Research Center, Queens Medical Center, Hawaii Agricultural Research Center, Sea Grant College Program, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, College of Engineering and several departments including Microbiology, Zoology, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, and Plant and Environmental Protection Sciences.
Thus, Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering became an interdisciplinary graduate program centered around the molecular biosciences but including tropical agriculture, biological and biomedical sciences, and engineering.
Multicultural Global Experience
Committed to being the leading indigenous serving university in the country, University of Hawaii at Manoa proudly delivers a unique multicultural global experience in a Hawaiian place of learning, with a long history of adherence to the principles of sustainability and the essence of aloha—truly like nowhere else on earth.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Biotechnology: Science and Ethical Issues
- Essential Biochemistry
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Principles of Biochemistry Lab
- Marine Functional Ecology and Biotechnology
- Molecular Cell Biology II
- Environmental Biochemistry
- Biotechnology for Teachers
- Integrative Genomics and Biotechnology
- Integrative Genomics and Biotechnology Lab
- Bioinformatics for Biologists
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMicrobiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Biochemistry View 746 other Masters in Biochemistry in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hawaii at Manoa and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification pages, or a copy of the national identification card if a passport is not available.
- Submit one transcript or academic record from each institution of higher education attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take English Language Proficiency.
- Show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses, including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.