In 2015, Studyportals gathered information from 1,000 universities worldwide in order to offer students all the information they need to make the right choice for their education future.
The universities have been selected from the top 1,000 Webometrics university rankings and all English-taught Bachelors and Masters (as well as many courses in other languages) have been included in the databases of Bachelorsportal and Mastersportal. Learn more about the study.
Using this data, Studyportals managed to create a list featuring the top universities offering the most English-taught degree courses in non-English speaking countries in Europe to support international better weigh their study abroad options.
International students no longer have to restrict their search to English-speaking powerhouses like the U.S., the UK, or Canada but have more options than ever to pursue good undergraduate and graduate degrees in other non-English international destinations.
Advantages of studying at a university with more English-taught degrees
Many universities around the world offer English-taught degree programmes, but you may be wondering why you should choose a university offering a lot of international courses. Here are a few important reasons we thought may provide some insight:
- Diverse study options mean better chances of finding a course that perfectly fits you
- More English courses mean more international students which universities will work harder to accommodate and make them feel right at home.
- Cities or towns where the universities are situated will likely have a more international feel, with a student-friendly vibe and more fun activities.
- Better chances of meeting other people from your home country. It’s always nice to have a bit of home away from home.
- More English taught courses result in more teachers with an international mindset and a more global vision.
- Easy access to English study materials, libraries, labs, etc.
- Possibly more funding options for international students.
- More industry connections with big companies looking for interns or fresh employees.
Top 5 non-English countries offering the most English-taught courses
Based on the gathered data, find the top 5 European countries and respective first 3 universities offering the most English-taught courses. For each university, you will find the total number of English-taught courses provided and its ranking in the prestigious Times Higher Education (THE) European Rankings 2016. Click on the name of the universities to find more details about the study options and environment there.
1. The Netherlands (12 universities in top 1,000 offering 1034 English-taught degrees including 104 Bachelors and 930 Master’s programmes). The Netherlands is a great place for international students because most of the population speaks perfect English, creating a welcoming, multicultural study environment.
- Leiden University – 220 courses, rank 22 in THE Rankings 2016
- University of Amsterdam – 133 courses, rank 19 in THE Rankings 2016
- University of Groningen – 109 courses, rank 27 in THE Rankings 2016
2. Germany (58 universities in top 1,000 offering 835 English-taught degrees, including 109 Bachelors and 726 Master’s programmes). Germany is constantly increasing its English-taught study offer, while providing tuition-free higher education at public universities to all international students.
- Universität Leipzig – 116 courses
- Universität Heidelberg – 53 courses, rank 13 in THE Rankings 2016
- Freie Universität Berlin – 41 courses, rank 26 in THE Rankings 2016
3. Sweden (12 universities in top 1,000 offering 550 English-taught degrees, including 24 Bachelors and 526 Master’s programmes). Sweden provides high standards of living with education focused on self-development nurturing student independence.
- Stockholm University – 107 courses, rank 64 in THE Rankings 2016
- Lund University – 105 courses, rank 37 in THE Rankings 2016
- Royal Institute of Technology – 74 courses, rank 74 in THE Rankings 2016
4. Denmark (7 universities in top 1,000 offering 482 English-taught degrees, including 428 Bachelors and 54 Master’s programmes). Denmark offers innovative teaching methods and quality living conditions with a local population that’s considered the happiest in the world.
- The University of Southern Denmark – 121 courses, rank 141-150 in THE Rankings 2016
- Aalborg University – 113 courses, rank 121-130 in THE Rankings 2016
- Aarhus University – 85 courses, rank 46 in THE Rankings 2016
5. Spain (42 universities in top 1,000 offering 404 English-taught degrees, including 115 Bachelors and 289 Master’s programmes). Spain is a friendly, multicultural society dedicated to building curious minds, positive attitudes and creative spirits.
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona – 92 courses, rank 70 in THE Rankings 2016
- Universitat de València – 66 courses, rank 401-500 in THE Rankings 2016
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra – 46 courses, rank 80 in THE Rankings 2016
Check all the IELTS test locations and dates available worldwide when you prepare for admission.
Also, check out the top 10 cities with the most English degrees in Europe.