When considering English-taught education most international prospective students think of study options provided by universities in the U.S. or Europe. However, a lot of universities in Asia are investing in developing new degree courses for international students, offered fully in English.
Teachers with extensive education and experience abroad share their knowledge with students coming from all over Asia, the Middle East, Russia, Australia, but also Europe and the Americas. An increasing number of affordable and attractive undergraduate and graduate degree options such as global MBAs, Masters of Science, PhDs and other research programmes provide esteemed and quality higher education for students all over the world, competing with the most well-regarded universities in the States or the UK.
In 2015, as part of its top 1000 universities worldwide initiative, StudyPortals has made a list of the top five countries with the most English-taught courses, and the first three university providers in those respective countries, proving once again that the future of education has no borders. StudyPortals has included all English-taught study programmes from the universities in top 1,000 Webometrics university rankings in the databases of Bachelorsportal and Mastersportal, in order to offer students a comprehensive way to find and compare their preferred study abroad options. Learn more about the study here.
An English-taught degree in Asia is perfect if you’re dreaming of getting a higher education abroad while also getting an unforgettable and unique cultural experience.
Here is the list of countries and universities where you can take a higher education degree while discovering the mysteries of the Orient:
Countries and universities in Asia with the most English-taught courses
Find the total number of English-taught degree courses for each country, and the individual number of study programmes for each top university in that country.
- 105 universities in top 1,000, offering 327 English-taught degrees, including 143 Bachelors and 184 Master’s programmes
Given China’s continuous economic development international companies are looking for graduates that have been exposed to Chinese higher education, especially in the field of business administration (MBAs) but also other areas of science and technology.
- Donghua University – 40 courses
- Beijing Institute of Technology – 35 courses
- Tsinghua University – 22 courses
Popular study options in China:
- Masters in Economics in China
- Masters in Civil Engineering in China
- Masters in Computer Science in China
- 6 universities in top 1,000, offering 239 English-taught degrees, including 142 Bachelors and 97 Master’s programmes
- University of Malaya – 79 courses
- Universiti Sains Malaysia – 57 courses
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia – 54 courses
You can also apply for free with Studyportals to Taylor's University from Taiwan and also get application counselling at no cost.
- 31 universities in top 1,000, offering 216 English-taught degrees, including 51 Bachelors and 165 Master’s programmes
Universities in Taiwan have been actively recruiting international students while the government offers numerous generous scholarships to attract students from abroad.
- Chaoyang University of Technology – 30 courses
- I-Shou University – 23 courses
- National Taiwan University – 20 courses
Popular study options in Taiwan
4. Hong Kong
- 6 universities in top 1,000, offering 196 English-taught degrees, including 108 Bachelors and 88 Master’s programmes
- Chinese University of Hong Kong – 70 courses
- City University of Hong Kong – 70 courses
- Hong Kong University of Science & Technology – 28 courses
Popular study options in Hong Kong
- Masters in Management and Leadership in Hong Kong
- Masters in Economics in Hong Kong
- Masters in Computer Science in Hong Kong
- 29 universities in top 1,000, offering 141 English-taught degrees, including 27 Bachelors and 114 Master’s programmes
Universities in Japan provide great expertise in scientific research, supporting innovation and creative ideas and challenging international students to reach their true potential.
Popular study options in Japan
- Masters in Information Sciences in Japan
- Masters in Economics in Japan
- Masters in General Engineering in Japan
Prepare for admission by looking up all IELTS test dates and locations worldwide.
Apply now to a Master's from Asia
You can now apply with Studyportals to our partner universities in Asia. You can apply whenever you want, and it won't cost you anything.
Check the available Masters and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf. Find out more about applying to a Master's degree with Studyportals.