Drawing on current research and practice, this fascinating the Performance Psychology programme at The University of Edinburgh introduces you to the issues that relate to both individual and group performance, then encourages you to develop techniques to minimise the influence of limitations, such as anxiety and distraction.
Striking a balance between psychological methods and the wider professional skills needed to apply them, the courses you'll undertake will give you the knowledge and tools you'll need to critically appraise and apply scientific literature and to plan, conduct and disseminate your own research.
This programme is ideally suited for those interested in working in sport psychology and in related areas such as occupational or business psychology, executive coaching, team building, outdoor management and adventurous training, where you can capitalise on the increasing interest in the application of performance psychology. Recent graduates have taken up roles in :
- private consultancy in sports, business, music/performing arts
- management and technical roles in sporting bodies
- sports psychology practice in Sport Institute (public funded)
- lifestyle management in Sports Institute
- military and training agencies (eg primary medical care)
- research (PhD in sports and business/management fields)
- further professional training eg for Clinical or Educational psychology
- initial jobs in business to develop into Human Resource role
- teaching / lecturing (Higher & Tertiary education)
- outdoor and adventure training
You may choose to extend your studies with a doctoral degree (after completion of the MSc) or apply the transferable skills you will gain in areas such as communication and project management to a career in any field.
Your learning will be in the form of lectures, seminars and directed reading.
You will complete a series of seven taught courses that cover key topics related to performance psychology as well as essential professional skills for scientific practitioners such as legal and ethical issues and effective communication. Courses are designed to develop the ability of students to be able to critically appraise scientific literature and to apply research methods to enable them to plan, conduct and disseminate their own research, following the established principles of rigorous scientific study.
- Dynamics of Performance Teams
- Peak Performance
- Planning and Instruction for Performance
- Professional Skills in Development Environments
- Research Process
- Stress: Coping and Control
- Understanding Research Concepts
To graduate with the MSc degree, you will also produce an independently researched dissertation.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesEducation Psychology View 855 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline, such as psychology, exercise psychology, organisational behaviour, or sport science.
- We may also consider your application if you have relevant employment or experience; please contact us to check before you apply.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £8,335
- International/EU: £16,870
MSc PT fees
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.