Our graduate writing faculty have distinguished nationally and internationally through numerous publications and awards. They include poets Lynn Emanuel, Terrance Hayes, Yona Harvey, and Dawn Lundy Martin; fiction writers Fiona Cheong, Angie Cruz, William Lychack, and Irina Reyn; and, in nonfiction, Jeanne Marie Laskas, Michael Meyer, and Peter Trachtenberg, with Erin Anderson teaching digital narrative.
The MFA in Writing at the University of Pittsburgh will be awarded for the completion of a minimum of 36 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 3.0, plus the completion of an acceptable final manuscript. There is no language requirement for MFA students.
- The English department's Graduate Placement Committee is designed to assist PhD, MFA, and postdoctoral candidates in the application process for faculty positions in film, composition, literature, and creative writing by focusing on strategies for best representing one's candidacy in what has become a highly competitive job market.
- The committee works with candidates on how to compose and strengthen their CVs, cover letters, teaching portfolios, and other materials.
- Readings in Contemporary Fiction: Immigrant Fiction
- Narrative Audio Workshop
- Poetry Workshop
- Readings in Contemporary Poetry
- Readings in Contemporary Nonfiction
- Topics in Nonfiction: Magazine
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Creative Writing View 391 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application Form.
- Area of Specialization.
- Detailed Statement of Purpose.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
- GPA eligibility.
- Writing Samples.
- $75.00 Application Fee.
International42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 36 months.
National42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State24962 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24962 USD per year during 36 months.
Part-time: LOCAL: $1,003 per credit NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL: $1,728 per credit
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.