The Visual Art-All Grades (Art Education) program of Rochester Institute of Technology prepares you to teach the next generation of artists and to create art experiences while honing your own artistic skills.
This accelerated program gives you a year of hands-on experience that will heavily mirror your life as an art educator. An art education master's degree prepares you for a career by embedding certifications and job placement support right into the curriculum. You will work with regional schools to find the best fit for your personality, talents, and teaching goals.
The MST in visual arts–all grades (art education) leads to initial/professional New York State certification in visual arts for grades K through 12. This certification allows applicants to teach in New York state public schools. The program features pedagogical studies, studio inquiry, and student teaching. The program prepares students to meet the national, state, and regional need for teachers of the visual arts and is designed for accomplished art educators and advocates for art and learning in all grades. The program is nationally accredited and is for teachers in art education who hold a BFA or BA (art major) degree. Classes begin each August and conclude in May. Graduates of teacher education programs at RIT have a 96 percent pass rate on the New York State Teacher Certification examinations.
Typical Job Titles
- Art Teacher
- Art Specialist
- Arts and Crafts Instructor
- Education Director
- Art Instructor
- Art Professor
- Arts Administrator
- Lead Teacher
The visual arts–all grades program maintains accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Reporting outcomes and student achievement data is available for review.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Child Development in Art
- Inclusive Art Education: Teaching Students with Disabilities in the K-12 Art Classroom
- Multicultural Issues in Art and Education
- Methods in Teaching and Learning
- Methods II: Studio Thinking
- Professional Practices in Art Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArt Education View 137 other Masters in Art Education in United States
- Submit copies of official transcript(s) (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work, including any transfer credit earned.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (or US equivalent) from an accredited university or college with a major concentration in art, art education, arts technology education, photography, or new media.
- Recommended minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent).
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
International54176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54176 USD per year during 12 months.
National54176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54176 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Rochester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.