Graduates of the program receive the Medical Doctor (MD) degree, the basic professional degree in medicine, and the Master of Arts (MA) degree from the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, with a concentration in bioethics. This joint degree program allows students to earn the two degrees in a shorter period of time than if pursued separately. Students wishing to enter the program may apply before matriculation in the School of Medicine or while enrolled in the MD program.
The joint degree program in Medicine and Bioethics at the University of Pittsburgh was established to equip physicians to address ethical issues as they arise in their practice, to contribute to public discourse about bioethical concerns, and to prepare them to incorporate ethics into their careers in clinical education. Joint degree students benefit from an increased ethical awareness during their medical training and in their future careers.
- The Center for Bioethics & Health Law was founded to draw together faculty from across the University who shared research interests in bioethical issues. Research—empirical, conceptual, and philosophical—remains a core activity of the Center.
- Center faculty collaborate with each other and colleagues across the university and the globe to address pressing ethical, legal, and policy issues.
- Employing research staff from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds, as well as collaborating with students, faculty pursue research on a range of topics.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Philosophy & Ethics View 382 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We offer this Web-based application in hopes that it will make our application process as easy and convenient as possible for you. To get started on your application, create an account on the right side of this page.
- You will receive a PIN and Password so that you can return to work on your application over several sessions. You will be able to upload additional information such as copies of unofficial transcripts and/or mark sheets, career statement, CV and writing sample.
- Your information is transmitted through a secured server and is kept confidential until you submit your application.
International42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
National42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State24962 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24962 USD per year during 24 months.
Part-time: LOCAL: $1,003 per credit NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL: $1,728 per credit
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.