Statistics at Michigan State University is the driver of data-enabled science for collecting, summarizing, modelling, and interpreting the data. Probability theory is used to analyze various aspects of statistical models guided by practical aspects of computation and scientific interpretability.
In the last few decades, tremendous strides have been made in the physical, biological, and social sciences as well as in engineering and business by the use of statistical and probabilistic methods and models to describe and aid in the explanation of basic phenomena.
A strong interest has developed in the intensive study of statistical theory and methods aside from its uses, in the same way that physical sciences have developed aside from engineering.
The Department of Statistics and Probability has a long and proud tradition of excellence for world-class research and training for over 65 years.
The Department awards bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in Statistics, and partners with the Department of Mathematics in awarding the bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science.
The Department is home to an internationally renowned faculty with a wide variety of expertise in fundamental and interdisciplinary research, over 100 graduate students, and about 80 undergraduate students from many countries of the world. Graduates of our programs go on to careers in academia, industry and government.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory of Probability and Statistics
- Applied Statistics Methods
- Multivariable Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics Actuarial Science View 387 other Masters in Actuarial Science in United States
- To be admitted to the master’s degree program in statistics, the applicant should have a background in calculus equivalent to Mathematics 132, 133, and 234, in linear algebra equivalent to Mathematics 309, and probability and statistics equivalent to Statistics and Probability 441 and 442 at MSU with an overall grade point average of 3.0 in this course work.
- Nine additional credits in STT courses at the 800-level or above as approved by the student's academic advisor.
- At least 4 credits must be in STT 899 Master's Thesis Research.
- Nine additional credits in STT courses or courses in related fields as approved by the student's academic advisor.
- Completion of an oral examination in defense of the thesis, final examination or evaluation.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 12 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14144 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for East Lansing
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.