The Master of Music in Music Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell has two non-certification options consisting of the research-based Research Thesis/Project option for fully-certified music teachers who are seeking professionalization, and our newly created Community Music option which serves to broaden the definition of music education to include other venues beyond public school teaching, such as community outreach programs, arts organizations and educational media.
The degree program is designed to facilitate students' growth and development as:
- Leaders in the profession of music education.
- Creative problem solvers and innovative thinkers.
- Individuals who love music and the arts and utilize their knowledge of and enthusiasm for music to inspire students.
- Contributors, through research, to the profession and discipline of music education.
The music education curriculum is based on the belief that music educators must have comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter of music, an awareness of current theory and practice in music education, and an understanding of recent curriculum developments and contemporary issues in general education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Music Education - Socio-Cultural Influences
- Foundation of Music Education
- Curriculum Design in Music Education
- Research in Music Education
- Teaching Diverse Populations
- Adolescent Development & Behavior
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- National Students - UMass Lowell Graduate Admissions offers rolling admissions for all programs
DisciplinesEducation Music View 969 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for admission to the Master of Music in Music Education
- Proof of either a Bachelor of Music degree in performance, music industry or music education or its equivalent from an accredited music program
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Graduate School application forms.
- GRE scores, and official transcripts of previous post-secondary education.
- Applicants for admission to Master of Music in Music Education/Thesis Project Options must have passed the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) test in Music within the last five years and must submit the results of this test.
- A statement of purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts.
- On-site audition or audition tape.
International26370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26370 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National26370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26370 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State14590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14590 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.