The Master of Music in Music Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell has two non-certification options consisting of the research-based Research Thesis/Project option for fully-certified music teachers who are seeking professionalization, and our newly created Community Music option which serves to broaden the definition of music education to include other venues beyond public school teaching, such as community outreach programs, arts organizations and educational media.
The degree program is designed to facilitate students' growth and development as:
- Leaders in the profession of music education.
- Creative problem solvers and innovative thinkers.
- Individuals who love music and the arts and utilize their knowledge of and enthusiasm for music to inspire students.
- Contributors, through research, to the profession and discipline of music education.
The music education curriculum is based on the belief that music educators must have comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter of music, an awareness of current theory and practice in music education, and an understanding of recent curriculum developments and contemporary issues in general education.
- Seminar in Music Education - Socio-Cultural Influences
- Music Education
- Curriculum Design in Music Education
- Research in Music Education
- Teaching Diverse Populations
- Adolescent Development & Behavior
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell Graduate Admissions Office has a "rolling admissions" policy.
DisciplinesEducation Music Musicology View 3578 other Masters in Education in United States
- All applicants are expected to present an undergraduate record of sufficient quality to assure a reasonable expectation of successful graduate achievement.
- Applicants for admission to the Master of Music in Music Education (Research Thesis/Project option) degree program must possess a bachelor's degree or its equivalent with a major in music.
- Applicants for the Master of Music in Music Education (Community Music option) must provide proof of either a Bachelor of Music degree in performance, music industry or music education or its equivalent from an accredited music program.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Candidates for admission must submit the required Graduate School application forms.
- GRE scores, and official transcripts of previous post-secondary education.
- A statement of purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts.
- On-site audition or audition tape.
International31053 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31053 USD per year during 12 months.
National27750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27750 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State15676 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15676 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lowell
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.