The Business Development and Entrepreneurship programme at Utrecht University is based on Utrecht University’s world class research in the domain of entrepreneurship and innovation, and the interaction with business strategy and policy practice by U.S.E. staff members and lecturers.
It also draws upon the broad international research network of the Utrecht Center for Entrepreneurship.
In the Master in Business Development and Entrepreneurship you focus on:
- venture development, creating the right environment and context for new ventures to thrive;
- capturing value from innovation;
- product and service development;
- entrepreneurial marketing using methods like co-creation with customers and design thinking;
- obtaining and managing (venture) capital.
Master’s programme in Business Development and Entrepreneurship provides you with:
- The tools, skills and techniques to recognise and develop new opportunities within established organisations as well as start-ups;
- Market analysis and empirical techniques for such analysis, including customer development;
- Strategy creation abilities. Special attention is paid to the launch of new products and services;
- Competences for organising and managing fast-growing corporations and corporate units, internally as well as in value-creating networks;
- Knowledge of how to finance new ventures, especially in a corporate environment.
In the past three decades, most large corporations have been shrinking. Many of them have outsourced a substantial part of their employment to other countries, often outside of Europe.
Strong employment numbers in developed economies come largely from new, fast growing companies with an agile and entrepreneurial approach. These companies demand different skills, knowledge and mindsets from their employees than in the old hierarchical environment of business.
And increasingly ambitious, young professionals are self-employed, launching their own entrepreneurial businesses.
Positions by graduates of this programme could include:
- Entrepreneur, often in a team.
- Business Developer, often within a fast growing corporation or business unit, but possibly also in the public-private context of incubators.
- Marketeer, often focused on the launch of new products and services (with research skills for this purpose).
- Venture Finance Analyst, as the review of business plans within financial corporations grows more important each day.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Empirical Economics
- Entrepreneurial Marketing
- Strategy and Innovation
- Frontiers and Entrepreneurship
- Data-driven Entrepreneurship
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration Entrepreneurship View 130 other Masters in Economics in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BSc of a research university in Economics or Economics and Business Economics preferably with some degree of specialisation in Business Development and Entrepreneurship. The International Office assesses all international credentials according to the credential evaluation criteria of the Nuffic (the Netherlands Organisation for international cooperation in Higher Education), and advises the Admissions Committee on this subject; and
- A good command of English.
- You must have solid and demonstrable knowledge in the following fields: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Corporate Finance and Econometrics or Advanced Statistics.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17280 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.