Students can choose either face-to-face or blended format options. Long Island University (LIU)'s M.A. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages is 39-42 credits depending on course selection and the culminating experience.
After you complete all degree requirements, successfully pass New York State Licensure tests (EAS, ALST, CST and edTPA) and you have completed all seminars listed below, you will be awarded Initial Teaching Certification by the New York State Department of Education.
If you are a certified teacher with three years of teaching experience, you will be eligible to apply for Professional Teaching Certification upon completion of the program:
- Child Abuse
- SAVE (Schools Against Violence Education Act)
- DASA (Dignity for All Students Act)
- Health and Substance Abuse
All undergraduate and graduate programs at LIU Post are registered with the New York State Education Department and accredited by the Commission of Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Psychological Foundations of Education
- Social Foundations of American Education
- Education for Cultural Diversity
- Introduction to Educational Research
- Accommodating Learners with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (Includes Technology and Inclusion)
- Methods and Materials in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or Dialects
- Advanced Methods and Evaluation in TESOL
- TESOL in Content Areas: Science, Humanities and Social Science
- Adolescent Health-Risk Workshop
- Educational Theory & Practice Courses
- Second-Language Literature Acquisition
- Bilingual Education and ESL: Theory and Practice
- Co-Related Content Course
- Descriptive Linguistics
- Pre-Student Teaching Seminar: Critical Issues in Education (passing grade required)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 443 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee (non-refundable). Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2.5 overall and 2.75 in major grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor's program.
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
International1274 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1274 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.