Our faculty members are actively engaged in mental health counseling and frequently contribute to publications and conferences.
The 60-credit M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Long Island University (LIU) prepares you for a career as mental health counselor. You will learn individual and group counseling techniques to help youths, adults, couples, parents and families work through their problems and issues. As a mental health counselor, you can have a positive and meaningful impact on people. The M.S. in Mental Health Counseling will provide counselors with the preparation and support they need to help others experience healthy, fulfilled lives.
National Certification for Graduates
This program prepares students to fulfill the educational requirements for licensure as a mental health counselor established by the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions. Graduates of this program will be eligible to take the National Counselor Examination. Successful completion of this examination will qualify the student to become a national certified counselor.
New York State Licensure
The program has been certified by the New York State Education Department as “licensure qualifying.” For more information about mental health counseling and licensure, please contact the coordinator for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program in the Department of Counseling and Development at LIU Post, or consult the New York Mental Health Counseling Association.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Psychopathology for the Professional Counselor
- Human Growth and Development Over the Lifespan
- Theories Of Counseling
- Counseling Pre-Practicum
- Counseling Practicum
- Research Methods In Counseling
- Diversity and SocioCultural Issues in Counseling
- Socio Cultural Issues in Counseling: A Field Based Experience
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling Specialization Requirements
- Foundations of Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Ethics
- Assessment and Intervention Strategies in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Family Counseling
- Practicum In Psychological Testing for Counselors
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Counselling Clinical Psychology View 1578 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- Bachelor’s degree with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in undergraduate studies or successful completion of another master’s degree. For admission purposes, only the writing assessment of the GRE is evaluated. This section of the exam assesses writing and critical thinking skills which are essential attributes for the professional counselor. Applicants will be considered to have met the GRE requirement if they obtain a score of 4.5.
- Applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and have at least 10 years work related experiences beyond their degree and/or have been involved in extraordinary life experiences are eligible to apply to the graduate counseling programs.
International38220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 24 months.
National38220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.