Students of the Liberal Arts program at Temple University are encouraged to develop an individual program of study, based on their own interests and objectives and at the direction of the M.L.A. Program Director. Our students are generally working adults who want to grow intellectually by extending their liberal arts education. Some may be seeking to move toward a doctorate and want to prepare themselves for graduate work; others may be interested in changing careers and wish to gain post-baccalaureate experience. The M.L.A. degree might be relevant, for example, for those who want to move into educational administration, library work, public policy, the law, or teaching.
Interdisciplinary Study: Students are introduced to interdisciplinary thinking through a range of "Topics" courses and encouraged to develop individual programs of study along interdisciplinary lines.
Areas of Specialization: The M.L.A. program draws on faculty from across the range of disciplines in the College of Liberal Arts, with an emphasis on applied humanities, engaging such areas as arts and culture, media studies, public history, and social theory. Students may also choose to concentrate their course of study by taking courses outside of the M.L.A. curriculum.
While not a professional degree, the M.L.A. degree may be applicable to a wide range of future graduate training and/or employment: from teaching and educational administration to library work; from public policy to arts management; and from government, the law, and public service to private sector work.
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Independent Study
- Topics in the Arts and American Culture
- Topics in Cultural Studies
- Topics in Visual Culture
- 12 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts View 825 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Statement of Goals: In approximately 500 to 1,000 words, describe your academic and research achievements, current research interests, and why Temple’s M.L.A. program and interdisciplinary graduate study in the liberal arts are the right match to attain your academic and professional goals.
- Resume: Current academic CV or professional resume required.
- Transcripts: An official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
National39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State28980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 966 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.