Gain the skills needed to successfully train and accompany opera singers. In addition to teaching lessons, graduates with a Collaborative Piano and Opera Coaching degree from Temple University often pursue positions in higher education and professional performance.
Students in this two-year, 30-credit graduate music studies program focus on skills unique to working with singers and opera production.
The curriculum is offered on a part- or full-time basis, and it is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. Highlights of the program include
- courses focused on the language and diction skills necessary for opera coaching;
- learning piano skills unique to song and opera repertoire;
- numerous performance opportunities both on and off campus; and
- working with complete opera productions as rehearsal pianists and vocal coaches.
All students are required to take Diagnostic Examinations in aural skills, counterpoint, harmony and music history prior to the first term of graduate study. To earn your degree, you must complete a comprehensive final project, including an oral presentation or written paper, as well as several required performances with singers in the Boyer College of Music and Dance Voice and Opera programs.
Upon completion of the Collaborative Piano and Opera Coaching MM, you will fully understand the role of music and performance in today’s society. Students in this program typically become composers, higher education instructors and professional musicians, in command of their expression and personal musical style.
- Coaching Skills
- Piano for Accompanying and Chamber Music Majors
- Recital Accompanying
- History of Opera
- Seminar in Theoretical Analysis
- Seminar in Stylistic Analysis
- 24 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 1089 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Take a standardized test
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 2
- Coursework Required for Admission Consideration
- Statement of Goals: Include your special interests within the discipline and expectations for the program.
- Resume: Current resume required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International21870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1458 USD per credit during 24 months.
National21870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1458 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State16425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1095 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.