This Master of Science in Adolescence Education: Social Studies program from State University of New York Potsdam is nationally recognized by the NCSS and leads to Initial Certification in Adolescence Education: Social Studies (Grade 7-12), with a possible extension for Middle Childhood Education: Social Studies (Grade 5-6).
The Fieldwork Experience:
- Completion of 100 hours of fieldwork in a local school prior to student teaching, gaining hands-on understanding of educational environments and innovative teaching strategies used in today's classrooms.
- One semester of student teaching, including two distinct placements in the middle and high school level.
- A close relationship with your field supervisor, who is committed to offering the support and insight you need to reach your highest potential as an educator.
Unique Program Features:
- Student teaching placements frequently result in full-time employment upon graduation.Our faculty has a large network of contacts in the field that lead to information about job opportunities, and our graduates regularly call for recommendations to fill positions.
- Small class sizes promote close relationships with professors and fellow secondary social studies teacher candidates. Students graduate with a cohort who provides support throughout the length of their future careers.
- An advisor guides you through the entire program, providing support that greatly enhances your education experience.
- Opportunities are offered to attend professional development workshops and/or conferences to help further your understanding of social studies content and pedagogy.
National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Reading in the Middle/Secondary School
- Writing in the Middle/Secondary School
- Special Soc St Education Content Topic
- Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Advanced Secondary Social Studies Education
- Social Studies Culminating Experience
- Social St Curriculum in Middle and Secondary School
- Research in Social Studies Education
- Social Studies Content Portfolio
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation View 3493 other Masters in Education in United States
- Evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. International students should consult the International Graduate Student page for information on U.S. Equivalency guidelines. An unofficial transcript may be submitted for the purpose of obtaining an admissions decision.
- International students where English is not their primary language must refer to the International Graduate Student page to obtain information about important requirements regarding English language proficiency.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 GPA in the most recent 60 credit hours
International22650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11325 USD per semester and a duration of 15 months.
National22650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11325 USD per semester and a duration of 15 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5545 USD per semester and a duration of 15 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.