The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at California State University Long Beach offers graduate study leading to research-based master of science degrees in chemistry and biochemistry.Applicants for the master of science degree programs should apply online both to the university and to the department.
Current biochemistry-related research in the department ranges from biophysical studies of protein structure and conformation to theoretical simulations of protein and nucleic acid structural transitions to studies in the regulation of biochemical pathways in cultured cells and animals and the biochemical basis of human diseases. Our analytical instruments include
- UV-visible and infrared spectroscopy,
- fluorescence, circular dichroism, and dynamic light scattering,
- high-performance liquid chromatography and capillary electrophoresis,
- isothermal titration calorimetry and differential scanning calorimetry,
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer for proteomics applications including protein identification and sequencing,
- transmission and scanning electron microscopes,
- atomic force microscope,
- scanning tunneling electron microscope,
- fluorescence microscopes and a confocal microscope,
- cell culture and recombinant DNA technology,
- and cluster & distributed computing resources for biomolecular modeling.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biochemistry Core for Graduate Study
- Colloquium in Biochemistry
- Seminar in Chemistry
- Directed Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 434 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
- Acceptance as a graduate student by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry;
- A bachelor's degree with a major in chemistry or biochemistry or one of the biological sciences. Students with majors in other areas may be considered for admission at the discretion of the Graduate Advisor.
- Entering graduate students are required to take a placement examination in biochemistry at the beginning of the first semester of the MS program. A second placement examination in either organic chemistry or physical chemistry must be taken by the beginning of the second semester.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
If you are not a resident of California , you must add $396.00 for each unit of credit you take.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.